Translate

Sunday, June 7, 2020

What the #!%* Is a Derecho

The power went out the other day. I believe the locusts are on standby.

Power outages do not usually freak me out. I am flashlight vulnerable for sure. I always think they are in one of three places, and they never are, and they rarely work. Other than that, the biggest inconvenience is boredom, and the pursuant chaos of being out of control: no internet, can’t open the refrigerator, can’t find any matches for the candles I need because of my flashlight ineptitude, bored offspring, inability to do work, etc. The biggest revelation and reminder is always how much I rely on electricity; those charged particles that flow, and move and interact. It is a convenient daily miracle that I take for granted almost 100% of the time.

This past outage, I must admit, freaked me out. It lasted longer and, like when relatives call, had epically lousy timing. On day 1,000,437 of quarantine, in the midst of civil unrest with an imposed curfew, and during the hottest several days of the year so far, fate or nature or both sent in a derecho. A derecho, Merriam Webster explains, is "a large fast-moving complex of thunderstorms with powerful straight-line winds that cause widespread destruction."


Hello metaphor.

I think it’s safe to say that 2020 has, so far, been one large seemingly nonstop, derecho. 
  • Pandemic
  • Economic downturn
  • Massive loss of jobs
  • Lantern flies
  • Killer hornets
  • Ahmaud Awbery, Breona Taylor, George Floyd, unforgivably murdered
  • Justifiable and necessary civil unrest
  • Lack of compassionate selfless leadership from the President
This confluence of thunderstorms continue to gather strength, threatening their own types of power outages with pursuant chaos.


Of course there are the power outages of political failures, an overburdened and flawed medical system, income inequality, the powerlessness of joblessness, nature’s reminder of our expendability, and ongoing intolerable systemic racism. And when this derecho of shit joins forces into the perfect storm we are currently experiencing, the power outages that ironically result from and fuel it all at once are our personal outages. Our sense that we are powerless in the face of all of it. Our personal flashlight vulnerability that perpetuates the struggle to find a light.


It can be paralyzing. It has broken my heart. 

Now this next part is gonna sound weird, bear with me. I'm an improviser. I perform it, I direct it, I teach it. It charges particles in a unique way. Here's what it has taught me:

  • Accept the reality in front of you and build on it
  • Shut up and listen
  • Be fascinated by the people right in front of you, rather than trying to be fascinating for a perceived audience.
  • Cede control
  • Embrace and listen to chaos
  • Have each other's backs
  • Make everyone else on stage look good
  • Sacrifice yourself for the good of the team, sacrifice your team for the good of the show
  • Everybody's contribution makes the making more unique
  • You do not need to know the ending when you begin
I am not in any way shape or form suggesting that this is the panacea for our derecho. Whenever I experience a personal power outage, however, it is the truths above that create the potential energy, “the energy that a piece of matter has because of its position or nature or because of the arrangement of parts," (thank you again Merriam Webster) to charge new particles. It reminds me to be astonished and inspired by the courage and compassion I witness every day. Doctors, nurses, essential workers, protestors, community organizers, BIPOC everywhere who are undeterred, truth tellers and truth seekers. Even during our little local derecho, family, friends and neighbors tossed out life rafts and sent out posts offering to bring over a meal, to use a spare bedroom, or to open their homes to charge devices, without a second thought. These are the flashlights I find to get me through the outages. I am in awe of human beings, the other daily miracles I take for granted 100% of the time. I put my faith in the ensemble of humanity. I will work harder to have everyone’s back. 


My power is back on if you need to recharge. I’ll be here doing what I can to keep the locusts at bay.



1 comment: